Monday, August 18, 2008

my first attempt at domestication

The idea suddenly sprang in my head during one of those days when I was stuck at home nursing my asthma (so this must be a sick idea. Haha!): I've decided to cook for Francis. I've decided to cook. Period.

Not that this was my first attempt. I already whipped up some mediocre meal for him years back, with my lola's help. This time, I've decided to be on my own. The menu: Chicken in creamy mushroom sauce.

So yesterday afternoon, I was at the supermarket (yes, I now appreciate having a mall in the neighborhood) shopping for my ingredients. During the grocery trip, I had this brilliant idea to not only cook the main course but prepare some appetizer (potato salad with a dash of thyme) and dessert (milky melon and banana), too. A full-course meal. So ambitious of me, eh?

There I was at the refrigerated section of the supermarket, clueless as to how shitake mushrooms look like fresh. Button mushrooms are easy (especially the canned ones), but my recipe calls for the former. When I saw these shrooms peeking out from the shelf, I made sure to look at the label to avoid picking out the wrong kind. And when my hands finally landed on shitakes, I thought to myself, "Ano ba 'tong pinasok ko?" (What have I gotten myself into?). I mean, how do I go about cooking them, much more slicing them first? It's a pretty easy dilemma, I know; but for someone like me who's never a regular at the kitchen, such trivial questions could very well equate to calculus.

But to be honest about it, I felt excited and giddy, albeit nervous. So when I got home, there's no other way to see if I'm making a big mistake but to try and make some sample.

After about an hour of kitchen heat, I managed to survive the ordeal. I think what I've prepared are decent enough not to rush someone to the nearest hospital due to food poisoning. My sister even finished her share as a sign of approval. I felt somewhat relieved and proud at the same time. I only had to wait for the next day for the verdict.

---

Dinner was served with anticipation. So anxious was I that I almost forgot to prepare my own plate and would have opted for Francis to try his first and wait for his reaction. After sitting down, Francis took his first spoonful. I held my breath. "Wow, sarap!" was my fiance's first reaction. I had to make sure he was telling me the truth and not just acting as my (polite) fiance. Seriously, he better be honest because he'll probably end up eating whatever I would serve him the moment we're married. There is no turning back for him, right? So I took his compliment as the truth after seeing him ask for another serving. He not only loved the main course, he also had three servings of my potato salad and two servings of my dessert! Wahahaha! It was a success! I can't believe it!

The only downside: since I don't know any better when it comes to approximating how many/much of each ingredient I'm supposed to buy, I ended up having an extra can of cream of chicken, 5 more pieces of shitake mushrooms and a handful of basil leaves. I guess I'd have to prepare some chicken soup soon before those ingredients expire.

So there, first attempt at domesticating myself has been a success. I just hate the now-wash-the-dishes part. And I wish I was able to take a couple of pictures of my masterpiece as proof. Never mind, there will be a next time. Heehee!

P.S.
Thanks to Mems for letting me bug her about shitake mushrooms and basil leaves.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

aba, mission mo yatang patabain si francis! after the wedding na lang kaya, sis :)

Sunshine said...

hahaha! oo nga no, after the wedding na lang. haha! on second thought, okay lang since he's in Cavite naman during weekdays, which means he makes do with crackers and instant noodles for dinner. poor boy. Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

very cool blog, sun. m already a fan. :) m sure dami pa recipes mama-master mo. congrats sa 1st successful attempt. grabe napuyat ako-read main pages of 2 websites-totstoponder and this. :)