Monday, May 19, 2008

baguio's going to pick me up again

Baguio, Feb 08: with Archie, Cindy, Mems, and Mari-an.
Taken by Francis

I find it a blessing that whenever I'm feeling down in the dumps, a trip to my fave place comes around—be it for work or for leisure (of course I wish it were always for leisure). And as mababaw as I may seem, I find myself feeling all excited about another trip to Baguio this weekend (for work, yes).

It must be the cool air or the pine trees or the notion that Baguio is in itself this very quaint little town where everyone knows everyone and you can do or wear (layering and boots and coats and mufflers are so cool) just about anything and no one would stare at you like you’re some strange person. I may be wrong (I’ve read in a dismayed friend’s blog that Baguio has changed), but I’d like to think that I’m going back to a place I fell in love with. It’s good to not be too familiar with it because that way, I don’t have to stare at the ugly face of Baguio (oh yes, there is Panagbenga. Now I understand why Mari-an detests stepping out of her house and into the festival’s riot). Maybe because every time I go there, I feel a happy familiarity, a sense of belonging, a sense of I-can-grow-old-here feeling. Add the fact that that’s where I said “yes” to Francis’ proposal.

It’s funny because my assignment in Baguio only requires an overnight stay. Yet I still look forward to it and feel as if that short stay would do me a lot of good. I can actually imagine myself there already: after the shoot, me and my colleagues-turned-friends would hit a place where we can relax and have a nice afternoon snack, then probably head to Tam-Awan to catch the glorious Baguio sunset. Evening might be spent at some cozy place with good food—50’s Diner or Little John’s maybe. And as we all decide to call it a night, we’d still end up yakking the night away in our room, all comfy in our PJs. The morning would be a wonderful mix of damp air, cool breeze and soft drizzle, best spent having a hearty breakfast at CafĂ© by the Ruins (Cindy and I would definitely drag the gang there). I would be ordering their divine French toast. The rest of the day would probably be spent loitering around Baguio and being the usual noisy bunch of tourists. Then we’d all be sad to be going back to Manila by early afternoon. I know I’d be really sad, but happy at the same time because I might have found another reason to go back. Hopefully, when that time comes, Francis would be missing Baguio so much he’d talk me into taking a week-long vacation leave just so we could go back.

Oh dear. Evidently, I’m getting all worked up here. Just thinking of how cool and damp and drizzling Baguio is at this time of the year gets me all giddy. Perhaps this is God’s way of rewarding me after days of feeling terribly miserable.

I really can’t wait for Friday. Yay!

No comments: