Sunday, October 17, 2010

korean madness

As the samgyeopsal sizzles...

When I suggested to my friends that we next eat at Woo Ri Jib, an authentic Korean resto along Kalayaan Avenue, I thought it was just one of those plans that would remain just a, um, plan. So when Archie brought it up again, I was quick to set a date--a payday weekend.

So last Friday, me, Mems, Dit, Archie, Jen and of course, Francis excitedly trotted to Woo Ri Jib. It took us a while to figure out which Korean dishes to actually order, but we ended up with the usual fares Francis and I have whenever we're there--kkanpunggi (spicy chicken wings in special sauce; we made sure to have it mildly spicy) and hae-mul pajeon (Korean pancake made of egg, spring onions and seafood). Plus, we had to try the famous samgyeopsal--pork strips fried in their own fat using a hot plate. We had fun wrapping the cooked strips in either lettuce or shiso (sesame leaves).

Of course, we had to try soju; but being a non-drinker that I am, just a sip of the alcoholic beverage made me crumple my face. Haha!

The soju shot glass

After the filling dinner, we headed to Nice Mart, a Korean convenience store on our street that resembles Mini Stop (hello, yellow-and-blue theme!). Each of us grabbed some ice cream on stick for dessert and took our time with photo ops as if we were in Korea for real, it was crazy!

An-nyung-ha-se-yo!

Then the gang endured climbing up to the 5th floor sans an elevator to briefly hang out at our place. I always love having friends over our small pad. But after an hour or so, they had to go because for one, Archie still had a morning flight to Cebu to catch, and it was getting late already. Oh, but he and Mems didn't go home empty-handed. When they saw the home stuff we were selling (check out Our Yellow Room's website), Arch and Mems immediately bought one each. Now we only have one item left before we re-stock! Haha! (Up to now, we haven't really gone full-blast in this little biz venture of ours since I had the operation. We hope to get back on track come next year, though.)

After another stressful week at work, it had really been an extra fantastic and blessed Friday!

No comments: