Wednesday, June 06, 2007

because it IS worth passing up

A couple of years back, I was offered a position that would take me to a two-month training in US (with clothing allowance), not to mention a tempting paycheck and a fab title. But I turned it down. Without batting an eyelash. No amount or degree of persuasion made me change my mind. I told myself, "Why would I accept that handsome job offer when it would take me to a different path, just when I finally realized what I want to do?" And so I did walk away, smiling.

Yesterday, I was confronted with a similar scenario. But this time around, it was a more handsome offer–something I would've easily said "yes" to. Something that would allow me to buy perhaps more than one 400D. Something that would make my CV very much impressive.

Instead, I said "no". I felt proud to have said so. It was probably the best decision I've made this year (so far). In the same breath, I delivered my argument/reasons for not accepting, and I can say I delivered it with grace and confidence. I felt so proud of myself!

Happiness. It's all about happiness and finally going for what I've always wanted to do: write. Write and be able to take the credit for it. Though the opportunity for me to practice writing fulltime hasn't presented itself yet (I'm praying it would come soon, though), I believe preparing myself for it as early as now is crucial. Why would I beat around the bush when I already know what I want, what I'm meant to do? Why waste time?

I am jubilant and grateful to know that my friends and my family support me for having said "no". Because really, not everything is about the money nor the title. Not all doors that open lead to a pretty prairie. And I can proudly say that I've closed a door even before it led me to a cliff.

No comments: