Friday, October 26, 2007

addicted to jef


Last Saturday night, I was Sandra Bullock and Francis was Keanu Reeves and we were in Speed. We were trying not to speed down, lest we’d overheat and get stuck in the middle of EDSA at past 12 in the morning.

A few hours before our mini adventure, we were on our way to Megamall to finally buy my new toy, an Acer Aspire 4710. We were already on Julia Vargas; just as we were to cross Meralco Avenue, Francis noticed that the heat meter was slowly going up. Funny, we were both in panic, as if a bomb was about to go off. Good thing we made it to Caltex without me having to push the car.

After consuming a drum-full of water, we were finally heading to Mega. And then it happened again—the meter was slowly pushing its way to the red bar. Good thing we still made it to the first parking lot level.

So anyway, after much trouble getting to Megamall, we finally arrived in one piece. Met up with Rein so he can help me inspect my purchase, proceeded to dinner at Cabalen’s after buying Jef (yes, I named my lappy toppy Jef in honor of Rein. *winks*), then headed to Starbucks to grab some caffeine and reformat Jef so we can install a new OS.

Then the most horrible thing happened. I saw this tiny red dot on the LCD. Plus, we had a hard time reformatting the lovely thing. So since we still had time to go back to Villman, we did. After threats from Rein, the people there finally agreed to have the unit replaced the following day. But they said at first that red dots are not bad for as long as there are only a minimum of three. But you can’t say that to an oc-oc.

So we had to still try and test Jef. It took a couple of hours to install programs and drivers into Jef (that’s why I had to sleep over Francis’ place). We also had a hard time figuring out why the WLAN driver from the Acer website won’t work. Turned out, we were installing the wrong driver. We figured it out in the end and we blame Acer website for the confusion. Harhar.

After much trouble, I opted not to have it replaced. Researching about red dots (they’re either dead or stuck pixels that often appear in LCDs due to manufacturing defect), I was convinced one dot would do no harm (Francis’ laptop has one, too), unless of course after a week or so, there’d be numerous dots spelling out A-C-E-R. So far, it’s still one, tiny red dot.

So there. I’m still reveling in Jef. I believe he’ll help me advance my writing career. Haha!

Many thanks to Rein and Francis. And Rein, in case you wanna see Jef (not my laptop), just let me know, I’d be happy to return the favor.

No comments: