Monday, September 01, 2008

a night of reunions

Just one of my very few decent photos of the concert.

"Magkahawak ang ating kamay at walang kamalay-malay, na tinuruan mo ang puso ko na umibig nang tunay..." - Ang Huling El Bimbo by the Eraserheads


Though one of my favorite Eheads songs, Ang Huling El Bimbo, was not played due to an emergency (Ely Buendia, the band's front man, was rushed to the hospital after the first set, hence cutting the concert short. Hope he gets well real soon), being in the midst of a Pinoy music phenomenon with other thousands of fans is an experience that would make it to my personal history. In fact, I am not surprised that by now, just a day after the much anticipated reunion concert, a lot of blog entries have already been written and read, professing of how the event turned an ordinary night into something extraordinary, and what the band/their music meant to the authors.

I wasn't much of a fan, not in a sense where I would follow every single detail of the band's life. But there is no denying that my generation has been greatly inspired, if not influenced and shaped, by the music of the Eraserheads. Eraserheads, for me, means high school and early college, and everything that comes in between those years. Songs like Sembreak, Torpedo, Minsan and Pare Ko (the three latter songs weren't performed, unfortunately) conjure up memories that in a way define what my life was as a geeky high school student and a hopeful college freshie. It was particularly nostalgic to see clips of my dear alma mater, UP Diliman, being flashed in the big screen--not really just a mere part of the visual effects for the concert but because those four cool guys actually hailed from the same university, were my seniors, and first met in the Kalayaan Residence Hall (a dorm for freshies).

Yes, it was indeed unfortunate not to see Eheads perform more songs that would've made everyone, including me, jump, bump and sing out loud with glee and pride. But seeing them and hearing all those nostalgic melodies once again--live--and bumping into old friends who share the same admiration for the music is an experience worth cherishing.

P.S.
Photos to be uploaded in my multiply soon.

No comments: