Monday, May 17, 2010

a repose in the mountains is a beautiful idea

I never had the opportunity to visit Baguio--not even once--last year. I terribly miss it.

Usually, the opportunity comes in perfect timing, say after a very stressful week from work (more often than not, that's the reason). This time around, the timing again is perfect, but not because work stress is killing me.

Francis has a three-day seminar he has to attend in Baguio, which is a great excuse to tag along. It's actually more than great. With our house in Taytay almost catching fire for the second time around, my ectopic pregnancy and the emergency operation I had to undergo, and now, someone dear is not in, um, good shape (which is such an understatement), I have reasons to believe that Baguio is heaven-sent; it's like God had just patted my back, saying, "After all the crazy things you've been through, I'm giving you this opportunity to find repose. You deserve it, my child."

And so here I am, two weeks and a couple of days before I go up the mountains, so stoked that I've actually drawn up a mental list of what clothes to wear even before the trip was confirmed. Now all I have to do is plan where to go and what to do while the hubby is busy with the seminar. I've already imagined myself sitting at the veranda of Oh My Gulay resto/Vocas gallery one nippy afternoon, with a perfectly brewed cup of coffee beside a plate of tasty eggplant parmigiana on a wooden table, as I pour over a good book. I can pass my time there as I wait for Francis' seminar to finish. We can just cap off the night at Cafe by the Ruins for some dessert and hushed conversations.

Whatever I plan to do and wherever I decide to go, I'm sure I'll enjoy my alone time taking in the city's beauty while I let it soothe my soul. The prospect of exploring Baguio alone--first time for me--makes this trip more exciting. Baguio shall be mine and I shall be Baguio's for 3 days. I shall surrender myself to the cold as it gives me the repose I so badly need.

2 comments:

Kat said...

"With our house in Taytay almost catching fire for the second time around, my ectopic pregnancy and the emergency operation I had to undergo, and now, someone dear is not in, um, good shape (which is such an understatement)..."

Shine, I have no idea why I didn't know about this. I'm so sorry. I mean, I've been reading your Tweets about you being homebound but I didn't know it was so serious. Aaaww, I'm so sorry. But hey, you're a strong girl (-: And yes, oh yes, Baguio is one of the best balms to heartaches <3 I hope you enjoy and find comfort. *hugs*

Sunshine said...

Hey Kat! Awww, it's ok. =) I'm just really glad that there's a Baguio trip soon, just when I badly need it. I have no doubt it'll do me good, kahit short stay lang. Feeling ko nga Baguio can cure just about anything! Haha!

Btw, I'm glad you're past the "awkward stage". =) *winks*