Sunday, January 20, 2013

a holiday in Singapore: day 5

Having fever for two days almost ruined our holiday vacation, so at the very last minute (well, we had seven more  minutes to spare), Francis and I decided to rebook our flight. (I already felt way better that morning when we were packing.) Good thing we found one that departs from Singapore a little past midnight of the 3oth, thereby extending our stay for a day and a half. Also, it was great that even though our original room was no longer available for one more night, a room on the roof deck was. Running out of options, we decided to take it so we no longer have to worry about anything else--just my fever recurring, haha (it never did, thank God!). 

Once arrangements were finalized, we immediately  headed to our default hawker in Albert Center, just across Bugis Street Market. It was off to Kinokuniya after that. 

Bugis by day
Books galore
Kinokuniya is heaven. I finally found this book I had been looking for for a year or so: No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July. It's the last copy, mind you, so I know it was really meant for me. But that's not the only treasure I found--there's also this food photography book by an awesome food photographer/stylist Helene Dujardin (she's in love with ambient lighting, which I also love and want to master). And to mark the pages of these books, I bought a very pretty bookmark. Hee!
Searching for treasures made more efficient!
Hayao Miyazaki movies!!!
I had to restrain myself from buying this one. Boo!
My treasures!
Meanwhile, Francis hoarded some Jeff Buckley literature, and would have gotten more books had it not been for a self-imposed budget (I, too, would have!). Nevertheless, Kinokuniya's selection is something I'm impressed with. Can somebody bring that bookstore over here? 

A walk in the garden 
Before heading to Gardens by the Bay (which was originally scheduled the previous day), we grabbed some pastries and sat down for a couple of minutes in Takashimaya, for we know a lot of walking would be involved in our next destination. As soon as we felt we're ready to walk for hours, we headed straight to Gardens by the Bay.

It was overcast that day, and we were afraid it might pour and ruin our outdoor sightseeing. But the weather took pity on us and just stayed gloomy, sans the rain. 

On our way to Gardens by the Bay. Wish our MRT here is as sane as in SG. Haha!
Bridgeway to Gardens
Long and winding queue
Although the Bay South Outdoor Garden is free, I suggest you check out the Cloud Forest and Flower Domes (S$28 for both) because it's worth it. Make sure to go there late in the afternoon, so that after touring the two cooled conservatories (it takes about an hour to tour each), you'll be in time to catch Garden Rhapsody, where the Supertrees get all lit up accompanied by a majestic symphony. 

Anyway, instead of blabbing about it, here's a simple vid of our Gardens by the Bay experience.   

No comments: