Thursday, January 03, 2013

a holiday in Singapore: day 1

After a month and a half of planning, December 25 found Francis and me flying to Singapore.

But let's backtrack a bit. Since it's the holidays and it's been tradition to spend Christmas Eve at either my mom's place or my in-laws' (it was at my mom's last December), this trip proved to be quite a challenge (the whirlwind of activities proved to be bad for me, as I was currently recuperating from asthma right before our trip). After spending dinner on the 24th at my mom's in Taytay, Francis and I went straight back to our pad to freshen up and make sure everything's packed. We then headed to hail a cab to NAIA 3, worried that it might be hard for us to find one after midnight. Good thing we didn't have to wait long, and at about quarter to 12MN, we were already on our way to the airport.

Come Christmas Eve, Francis and I whipped up our phones to call our respective families. We were exchanging Christmas greetings while on the road, it's weird and funny at the same time!

Apparently, we arrived at the airport a couple of hours earlier. To make the most of it, we spent our Noche Buena there, with congee and barbecue chicken as our very humble Christmas Eve feast. Afterwards, we tried so hard to catch some sleep--I was unsuccessful while Francis snoozed like a baby. 

Finally, it was time to check in our stuff. Fast forward to a few hours later, we found ourselves padding the streets of Singapore in the morning sunshine, on our way to our hotel. We stayed in Mayo Inn on Jalan Besar Street, near Little India. Since it was too early to check in, we just left our luggage at the lobby and headed off to grab some lunch. We then came back to our hotel and got settled in, then it was off to exploring Singapore on Christmas Day.


Our cozy, Japanese-inspired room at Mayo Inn



On our way to Esplanade, we found this tribute to Singapore's various artists

Artworks on display in Esplanade

Yes of course, I lusted for this, but decided otherwise. Perhaps next time?

This one, too! My preciousssss!
Francis and my first shopping loot from Charles and Keith. Had to restrain myself in that store! But hey, I did get something for someone else (for my mom, actually)!

Esplanade, the durian-inspired building

The imposing Marina Bay Sands can be seen from just about anywhere in Singapore

Hello from Mr. and Mrs. Funa!

Smiggle store is bursting with so many colors!


I wish our MRT/LRT system is this clean, safe and efficient!

That's a giant Pinoy parol on display!


Christmas dinner at Trattoria Cucina Italia in 313@Somerset




Giddy about my rootbeer float!

Next up: exploring Ann Siang Hill and Chinatown!

No comments: