Tuesday, February 06, 2007

apocalyptic

Image from Wikipedia

For the first time in my movie watching life, I felt like throwing up while the bloody, wide screen stared at me.


I'm not really a fan of backpackers-turned-slashed-meat type of movies, so I thought watching Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" is nothing like that. Though I've read a review stating that the movie remains true to Gibson's gore signature, I still didn't expect it would be
that gory. Gory as in I wouldn't recommend eating before, during and even after watching the film. About 20 minutes into the movie, I was asking myself "Why in the world did I let Francis convince me to watch this?" It's not that I don't really want to see "Apocalypto". For one, the reviews are good. Then there's the intrigue factor–the movie's in Yukatek Maya language (according to Wikipedia; it has English subtitles, of course). While some people really mind reading those subtitles, I don't. What I mind is seeing blood, decapitation and disembowelment for like, every 10 minutes or so.

But, but, but..."Apocalypto" delivers plot-wise. It really does. And in case you're still not into movies with subtitles, lemme tell you that you'll barely mind those in this movie because the longest dialogue the characters have delivered just comprises one line.


But if you like gore...then...Why the heck do you like gore?

No comments: