Wednesday, November 21, 2007

counting my blessings

Things seem to be good lately. They may not be totally good (what could really be good when a friend passed away), but I’m happy that they’re looking up.

First, I’m all excited about Monday, the 26th. It’s our 9th year together, and I can’t thank God enough for giving us nine blissfully blessed years. Francis and I plan to head to Tagaytay and see what other new places it has to offer. Every year, we try something new as much as possible (though we spent our 7th also in Tagaytay, but I’m cool with it). Francis promised me an out-of-town celebration because he knows how badly I need to escape from my job’s inhumane demands and chaotic work sched. I was actually looking at some place farther than Tagaytay, but I’m so desperate to get out of town I’d probably be happy just to go to Laguna. (Well, no, not really). So yeah, Monday is something to look forward to, and that rarely happens because I don’t usually get excited over the first day of the workweek.

Second, this project I’ve been working on is extending for next year. Let’s just say that it’s this one project (let me call it The Project) that I get worked up and happy with—perhaps this is that one project we’re advised to keep close to our hearts so we can all be sane and not resign. Haha! During our recent seminar, we were blatantly told that yes, there are indeed crappy projects; but we have to find this one, golden assignment that we’d be so proud of it could save us from insanity. And I really think this is the one. In the two years that I’ve spent in this pseudo-ad agency department, I’m surprised to see myself waking up very early in the morning despite only three hours of sleep just to make it on time for an early morning shoot. Last week, when I was told that there’d be a meeting to plan for next year, I got excited—never mind if it’s a four-hour brainstorming session.

There are actually a lot of things about The Project that makes me feel perky about, but suffice it to say that it has given me the chance to do what I really want to do and make me want to, um, stay. I would want to get into more details but I don’t want to preempt things, so let’s just leave it at that for now.

Third, I’m constantly being bombarded with blessings (in the form of the written word) that not only allow me to make regular trips to the bank, but also makes me feel fulfilled. Even though at times the load seems overwhelming, I really can’t complain. I only have to worry about my deadlines because I think I’m already lagging behind. Gah!

Fourth, a sweet “accident” recently happened: last Sunday, 18 November, was Sing!, a mini-concert prepared by our church’s Young Adults/Praise team (photos are on their way). I was only supposed to perform a solo number in that event; but one of the praise team members had an emergency so she couldn’t make it. Her role was passed on to me, and I didn’t really mind. What I did mind was the fact that I didn’t know the songs in the lineup, and I barely had a day to practice. I only got to actually learn the lineup on the night before the event. But thank God I was able to pick up and there I was, gladly leading a congregation on that night of musical worship service together with my co-Young Adults. It’s just a wonderful, wonderful feeling to have actually worshipped our Maker through the talents He’s given us. Indeed, music is one great instrument that can bless other people.

Fifth, it’s almost the end of the month, which means that Francis’ contract in Cavite will expire. He’d be back here in Manila, and we’d be back to normal. Though I know that in the future, he’d most likely be assigned to some place else, I’m taking things one day at a time. Might as well enjoy bus trips together before another assignment takes that away.

So this is how it feels to actually count your blessings. Happy sigh.

No comments: