Monday, November 12, 2007

Kuya Jo, paalam...

Hey big guy in white shirt.....you'll never know how much
we'll greatly miss you...


It's not every day that I prepare myself to hear some bad news. And I was definitely unprepared for this...

Francis and I were talking over the phone when he got a text from our friend, Kuya Dex. It was one of those texts that you wish was just a joke, but it's not.

Our dear friend, co-musician, kakulitan, Kuya Joel Mendoza, already passed away.

I had to stop myself from reeling and falling over. I was hoping so much that it was just a joke. And when Francis finally spoke with Kuya Dex, the news was confirmed. I was on the other line straining to hear the conversation, hoping that I'd hear Francis laugh and curse Kuya Dex for such an evil joke.

All I heard was a tone of disbelief. I froze.

Kuya Joel is really gone...

From what we've gathered, Kuya Jo was found lifeless in their house in Para
ñaque this evening. Some of his other friends said that it was bangungot, and that he was already missing in action since Saturday.

Details are still sketchy. And up until now, everyone of us who've known him are still in shock. Just early this year, we saw him at a UPMC (we all met each other through this org) event, and we were all thrilled to finally see each other after a number of years.

And just a few days ago, I saw him go online in YM. I didn't even bother to drop him a line...

I really don't know what to say...He's such a sweet, soft-spoken, friendly guy who's always in skin-head (we've never seen him grow his hair) and who also loves the guitar just like Francis and Kuya Dex. And he was such a kuya. Back in college, we've been through really fun times together, even during that time when Francis was just wooing me. Now all those memories are flooding my head...but they're just that--just memories now...

Someone tell me this is just an evil joke. And whoever started it, I can readily forgive. Just please tell me this is some joke...

No comments: