Tuesday, June 22, 2010

the week that was...so far

Before I go on to write about my first day of school, I mean, my first day back at work, let me first rave about my trip to the CD/DVD sale last weekend.

Sure, Francis and I promised ourselves to be more careful with our spending especially now that we'll soon be paying for our new unit's equity (down payment). But who in their right mind can resist a sale where original CDs and DVDs sell for as low as Php20 (CDs) and Php150 (DVDs)? Definitely not us.

And so we went crazy and went home with these:



This isn't our first time to hoard. Last year, we went to the same sale by Universal Records and got home with loads of CDs. Majority of my selection were CDs of indie Brit bands, most (if not all) of which I'm not familiar with, but I did not regret buying them. This time was the same, though I bought more DVDs (last year had less good choices) than CDs. So now Francis and I would listen to new albums every night, or watch a DVD that we feel like watching (as of writing, Massive Attack is playing).

If you're envious (haha!) and are raring to go, wait until this weekend (and until this weekend only--Friday, Saturday, Sunday, from 10am to 7pm; the sale has been ongoing since the first weekend of June) then rush to the 10th floor of Universal Tower along Quezon Avenue (that's near Parco). But if don't have time, don't despair; Universal Records usually holds a yearly sale (sometimes even twice a year!), so there's still another chance to hoard. Just be on the lookout for an announcement in newspapers or check out their Facebook page. I'll also post here as soon as I got wind of another sale.

Now on to my return venture into the work force. After two months of leave, I got back to work yesterday. I actually sneaked back in without most of my co-workers noticing me, in the hopes that I can remain unseen so I can pretend I'm not at work yet. But of course this isn't a fantasy world so they noticed. Sure, I was touched when they told me they were glad I'm back. Still, I can't help but feel a tad sad that I'm already back to the grind.

If there's one thing I realized during my "vacation", it's that I'm ready to leave my desk job. I wouldn't be saying this if I were writing this entry three years ago. Back then, I didn't feel ready yet to be a freelancer; I wanted to belong to a team and be able to have summer outings and Christmas parties. It's a funny reason to want an office job, I know; but since there are really no summer outings and Christmas parties have become rare, then what's the point right? Or maybe, I've already grown mature enough to embrace the idea of having all of my time in my own hands. That way, I can control the stress level in my life. Now, I can imagine myself working on a deadline in our cozy pad, without me running like a headless chicken (answering emails, entertaining AE requests, printing documents, replying to a supplier's text message and conceptualizing special executions in my head--all happening at the same friggin' time).

But in life, mature people have to make choices according to their priorities; so I chose to go back to work and try my very best to still put my best foot forward; nevermind if I'm wincing while doing so. I know it's not the best attitude, but that's the least I can do to prevent myself from going jobless and broke (hello, monthly amortization!). And if there's anything I've gleaned from self-help career guide articles I've read, it's this trick to keep one's mind sane at work when mulling over printing that resignation letter: find something you really like to do to distract you from the stress and distress. In my case, that would be photography, music and writing. Staying in my job got me closer to opportunities related to these three (photography and writing, especially). If only for that, I am very thankful. So yes, Imma stick it out a little bit more and wait and see. I've waited for the past three years already, so what's a year or so? Like I have written in a previous entry, I shall grab every opportunity that comes my way and let go of things I have no control of. I'm tired of hearing myself whine without me really doing anything; this time, I will do something and just see what happens next.

On a lighter note, I found it funny when Francis and my mom asked me how my back-to-work day went yesterday, as if it was my first day in school. Where's my allowance, mom?

No comments: